> The idea is to pull their remote branch but not merge it, which will create
> multiple heads locally.
“hg pull some-repo-uri” does that.

> Then find the common ancestor of my regular local head and the new head,
> and diff the ancestor with the new head.
I think Mercurial revsets can do that, but I don’t feel confident enough
to try and convert your example to use them.  From “hg help revsets” /
http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/hg.1#revsets :

not x
    Changesets not in x. Short form is ! x.

x::y

    A DAG range, meaning all changesets that are descendants of x and
ancestors of y, including x and y themselves. If the first endpoint is
left out, this is equivalent to ancestors(y), if the second is left out
it is equivalent to descendants(x).

    An alternative syntax is x..y.

x:y
    All changesets with revision numbers between x and y, both
inclusive. Either endpoint can be left out, they default to 0 and tip.

x and y
    The intersection of changesets in x and y. Short form is x & y.

x or y
    The union of changesets in x and y. There are two alternative short
forms: x | y and x + y.

x - y
    Changesets in x but not in y.