On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 3:40 PM, Doug Hellmann <doug.hellm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mar 9, 2011, at 9:50 AM, Tim Lesher wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 01:15, Stefan Behnel <stefan...@behnel.de> wrote:
>>> Actually, why not put up a web page of "upcoming changes" somewhere, that
>>> lists major decisions with user impact that were taken on python-dev?
>>> Including a link to the relevant discussion and decision. Often enough,
>>> decisions are taken inside of huge mailing list threads that get off-topic
>>> before someone has "the right idea" and everyone who's still there to listen
>>> agrees. Even for people lurking around on python-dev, it's easy enough to
>>> miss these moments.
>>
>> We used to do biweekly-ish Python-Dev summaries for this reason.
>>
>> The original links at python.org appear to be down, but I found an
>> example mirrored at
>> ftp://ftp.ntua.gr/mirror/python/dev/summary/2005-02-01_2005-02-14.html
>>
>> Would resuming these and putting them back on python.org address the issue?
>>
>> It's been on my back burner for about two years now, but I want to
>> make sure I can keep up before diving in again.
>
> As Jesse mentioned, this topic came up on the board mailing list recently for
> a reason completely unrelated to this thread. As a result of that discussion,
> the board has asked me in my capacity as PSF Communications Director to help
> the python-dev crew set up a blog (or other forum) through which you can
> communicate news about major projects undertaken during development. This
> would be in addition to, rather than a replacement for, individual developer
> blogs, and would provide an official channel for the team to talk about
> projects publicly after they are complete.
>
> Topics proposed as part of the discussion on the board list included the hg
> migration, the new developer's guide, changes to the Mac installer, and the
> updated release process for 3.2. Those are just examples, though. This
> deprecation would make another good topic, and I'm sure everyone can think of
> others. Consider the blog as an analog to the PEP process. Where PEPs come at
> the beginning of a project, a blog post would come at a major milestones or
> the completion of a project.
>
> The original request from the board was for the communications team to write
> the messages, but I think it is more appropriate for the people doing the
> work to talk about it. I will provide editorial guidance to anyone that wants
> me to read their posts before they are published, and I will administer the
> tool if needed (granting access and moderating comments that look like spam).
>
> I asked Michael to add this topic to the agenda for the language summit
> tomorrow to get early feedback about whether this group thinks it is a good
> idea. I was going to hold discussion for the mailing list until after that
> meeting, but since the topic came up on its own please go ahead and respond
> here with questions or comments, especially if you won't be in Atlanta
> [...]

I propose we try to find an "embedded blogger" who participates in
python-dev but is focused on making regular blog posts about the
interesting tidbits. There's no requirement to be complete (which I
think always weighed the python-dev-summaries task down).

Ditto for python-ideas -- it would be nice if it was the same person
but doesn't have to be.

This might be an opportunity for increasing diversity.

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)