On 3/12/2011 10:52 PM, Glenn Linderman wrote:
On 3/12/2011 7:21 PM, Terry Reedy wrote:

The safest such character is \0,\

Works fine in Python.

unless you are coding in C,

Then \01 is next best.

I wouldn't have called you on this, except that it really is important
not to give people the idea that you can blithely use a variable length
string anywhere except at the tail of a multi-field sort string.

Sorry, my initial brief comment was for people on this list who I assumed understood the issue.

general, you can't. I've long since lost track of the number of times
I've helped people understand the fix to programs that tried that.

Thanks for explaining. I also get fussy about things I have explained too many time ;-).

--
Terry Jan Reedy