On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 05:45, Nick Coghlan <ncogh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> There are two relatively simple ways forward I can see:
>
> A. Add a __public__ attribute that pydoc (and import *) understand.
> This would overrride the default "this is private" detection and add
> affected names to the public list (without needing to respecify all
> the "default public" names - this is important in order to support
> subclassing correctly)

I believe this was the direction the bug report was implying.

I'll be sprinting for a few hours this morning; if there are no
objections, I will try to turn this idea into a patch that makes
pydoc.visiblename look for a __public__ function attribute as "step
0".

Maybe there should also be a @public decorator to apply it, although
that name may be an attractive nuisance, tempting C++ or Java
programmers new to Python to ask for @protected and @private...

--
Tim Lesher <tles...@gmail.com>