Python 2.6's API wasn't removed in 2.7. It remains available.

But not in 3.2. And the new API appeared in 2.7.

No, it didn't. It first appeared in 3.1.

That is a deprecation period of seven and a half months.

Not true. It's a deprecation period of 19 months and two
releases (3.1 and 2.7).

If you go from 2.7 to 3.2, you should expect things to break. That's
why the major version changed.

And 3.1 to 3.2? There is no major version break there.

Right. So for things to be removed there, they have to be deprecated
first (and that's what happened).

For 3.x, as Reid points out, the API was deprecated in 3.1, so the
deprecation period was rather 19 months, not 7.

Yes, but we are now in a period of parallell support for Python 2 and
Python 3. So it doesn't work like that. We need to support both Python
2 and Python 3 at the same time. Therefore, the deprecation period was
seven and a half month, because it was impossible to support the new
API before, and impossible to support the new API after, if you need
to support both Python 2 and Python 3.

If you actually had been supporting 2.x and 3.x in parallel for the last two years, you would have had a deprecation period of 19 months
and two releases. It's only if you are now migrating from 2 to 3
that you notice the breakage for the first time.

Regards,
Martin