On Mon, 4 Apr 2011 19:11:52 +0200
"Amaury Forgeot d'Arc" <amaur...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2011/4/4 Eugene Toder <elto...@gmail.com>:
> > Hello,
> >
> > CPython source code currently contains a number of python scripts (e.g
> > Python/makeopcodetargets.py, Objects/typeslots.py, Parser/asdl_c.py)
> > that are used during the build of the python interpreter itself. For
> > this reason they are run with system installed python. What is the
> > policy regarding
> > the range of python versions that they should support?
> >
> > I looked at some of the scripts and they seem to support both 2 and 3,
> > starting from at most 2.4. Python/makeopcodetargets.py says at the
> > top:
> > # This code should stay compatible with Python 2.3, at least while
> > # some of the buildbots have Python 2.3 as their system Python.
> > Is this the official minimal version or do we have this spelled out
> > more explicitly somewhere?
>
> Normally PEP291 lists the packages which should remain compatible
> with previous versions of Python:
> http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0291/

That's quite orthogonal. PEP 291 is about public stdlib modules, not
build scripts. Furthermore, “this PEP has no bearing on the Python 3
standard library”.

To answer Eugene's question, there's no official policy but the
comment at the top of Python/makeopcodetargets.py can indeed serve as
an useful guideline. I wonder if we still have buildbots with 2.3 as
the system Python, by the way.

Regards

Antoine.