Le 09/05/2011 19:54, R. David Murray a écrit :
No it isn't.  The commit message isn't pulled into the new branch.
 Sorry, your terminology does not make sense.  If you mean that the
commit message is not reused in the new commit after the merge, it’s
 true.  However, the commit message with the relevant information is
available as part of the changesets that have been pulled and merged.

The changesets are in the repository and there are pointers to them
from the merge changeset, sure, but the data isn't in the checkout
(that's how I understood "pulled in to the new branch").

No commit message is ever in the checkout, so I don’t follow you.

If I do 'hg log' and search for a revno (that I got from hg annotate), the commit message describing the change is not attached to that revno,

Ah, I understand your problem now. I would not object to a policy requiring to put helpful information in merge changesets commit messages, like “Merge fixes for #4444 and #5555” or “Merge doc fixes” when there are no bug reports.

I’m not sure about the “atomic” merge changesets idea that someone else expressed; I don’t think it would be that useful.

nor as far as I know is there a tool that makes it easy to get from that revno to the explanatory commit message. That's what Victor and I are
talking about.  Is there a tool that fixes this problem?

I tend to use graphical tools for history viewing.  I like the GTK
version of TortoiseHg, or failing that the graph displayed by “hg serve”
if you enable the graphlog extension and use a browser with JavaScript.