Hi,

Stephan Krah asked me to change how the default timeout is defined for regrtest
(issue #12250):

"The implicit timeout in regrtest.py makes it harder to write automated
test scripts for 3rd party modules. First, you have to remember to
set --timeout=0 for long running tests. Then, you have to remember
not to use the --timeout option when compiling --without-threads.

I'd much prefer that there's no timeout unless explicitly specified.
For the buildbots, I think this could be done in the Makefile."

First I replaced the hardcoded constant in regrtest.py by a command line
argument (--timeout=3600) in the TESTOPTS variable of the Makefile, so if you
call regrtest directly (without make), there is no more default timeout.

But today I saw a a buildbot timeout without any traceback: a possible hang in
test_io on "x86 FreeBSD 7.2 3.x" buildbot, "command timed out: 3900 seconds
without output". I realized that some buildbots (all buildbots?) override the
TESTOPTS variable ("make buildbottest TESTOPTS= TESTPYTHONOPTS=" for "x86
FreeBSD 7.2 3.x").

I moved the timeout option from TESTOPTS to a new variable: TESTTIMEOUT, with
a default value of 1 hour (3600 seconds). The timeout is now only used for
"make buildbottest". Use TESTTIMEOUT=0 to disable completly regrtest timeout.
The timeout argument if ignored (with a warning) if
faulthandler.dump_tracebacks_later() function is missing (e.g. if Python is
compiled without threads).

Please, don't disable the TESTTIMEOUT option for your buildbot. You may want
to use a shorter or longer timeout, it just have to be smaller than the
buildbot timeout (3900 seconds by default, 1 hour 6 minutes, just a little bit
more than regrtest timeout: 1 hour). If you want a timeout longer than 1 hour,
you can to change TESTTIMEOUT and the buildbot timeout (I don't know how to
configure the buildbot timeout).

I didn't touch test, testall, testuniversal, quicktest make rules, which don't
use the regrtest timeout anymore. I would prefer to use the same timeout
options for all test rules in TESTOPTS, but it doesn't work because some
buildbots do override TESTOPTS variable.

Victor