Le 28/06/2011 16:46, Paul Moore a écrit :

-1. This will make things harder for simple scripts which are not
intended to be cross-platform.

+1 to all you said.

I frequently use the python command prompt or "python -c" for various quick tasks (mostly on linux). I would hate to replace my ugly, but working

>>> open('example.txt').read()

with the unnecessarily verbose

>>> open('example.txt',encoding='utf-8').read()

When using python that way as a "swiss army knife", typing does matter.

My preferred solution would be:

- emit a warning if the encoding argument is not set

By the way, I just thought that for real programming, I would love to have a -Wcrossplatform command switch, which would warn for all unportable constructs in one go. That way, I don't have to remember which parts of 'os' wrap posix-only functionnality.

Baptiste