On 7/21/2011 5:00 PM, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
Le vendredi 22 juillet 2011 à 09:53 +1000, Nick Coghlan a écrit :
On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 9:35 AM, Antoine Pitrou<solip...@pitrou.net>  wrote:
On Tue, 19 Jul 2011 23:58:55 -0400
"P.J. Eby"<p...@telecommunity.com>  wrote:
Anyway, to make a long story short, we came up with an alternative
implementation plan that actually solves some other problems besides
the one that PEP 382 sets out to solve, and whose implementation a
bit is easier to explain.  (In fact, for users coming from various
other languages, it hardly needs any explanation at all.)
I have a question.

If I have (on sys.path) a module "x.py" containing, say:

    y = 5

and (also on sys.path), a directory "x" containing a "y.py" module.

What is "from x import y" supposed to do?

(currently, it would bind "y" to its value in x.py)
It would behave the same as it does today: the imported value of 'y' would be 5.

Virtual packages only kick in if an import would otherwise fail.
Wouldn't it produce confusing situations like the above example?

Regards

Antoine.

If I have (on sys.path), a directory "x" containing a "y.py" module, and later (on sys.path), another directory "x" containing a "y.py" module, what is "from x import y" supposed to do?

OR

If I have (on sys.path), a module "x.py" containing, say:

   y = 5

and later (on sys.path), another module "x.py" containing, say:

   y = 6

what is "from x import y" supposed to do?

I guess I don't see how this new proposal makes anything more confusing than it already is?