On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 1:49 AM, Barry Warsaw <ba...@python.org> wrote:
> On Jul 30, 2011, at 01:02 AM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> If test.support is truly and only an internal implementation detail, then it
> should adhere to Pythonic convention for such things, and be renamed
> test._support.  Then you won't need to document it at all except in the
> module.

Aside from test.regrtest and test.support, the entirety of the rest of
the test package is completely undocumented. test.support is unique,
as it is the only component other than the main executable that is
documented *at all*, solely for the benefits of people writing new
tests. We don't even document the resources that can be enabled from
the command line, instead telling people to look at the command line
help output.

The entire test package is an implementation detail, underscore or no
underscore - we will never, ever, offer any kind of backwards
compatibility guarantee for code in that part of the package
hierarchy.

> Here's another problem with moving the documentation for test.support to the
> devguide.  They will invariably get out of sync.  It's hard enough to keep
> stdlib code and stdlib docs in sync, but I think it will be even harder to
> keep stdlib code in sync with devguide documentation.  It will also be harder
> to know what version of the devguide corresponds to what version of the code
> repository.

By that reasoning, we should just give up and delete the test.support
docs entirely  (since they're *already* treated with disrespect by
contrast to the real stdlib docs).

It sounds to me like you're really objecting to the devguide living in
a separate clone. This doesn't bode well for the prospects of ever
splitting the stdlib out from the CPython interpreter core...

Cheers,
Nick.

--
Nick Coghlan   |   ncogh...@gmail.com   |   Brisbane, Australia