On 8/21/2011 5:09 AM, Sandro Tosi wrote:

However small the commit was, I think it still was a feature request, so
I wonder if it was appropriate for the stable versions.

Good catch.

I can see your point: the reason I committed it also on the stable
branches is that .ico are already out there (since a long time) and
they were currently not recognized. I can call it a bug.

But it is not (a behavior bug). Every feature request 'fixes' what its proposer considers to be a design bug or something.

Anyhow, if it was not appropriate, just tell me and I'll revert on 2.7
and 3.2 . Thanks for your input!

It is a new feature for the same reason http://bugs.python.org/issue10730 was. If that had not been added for 3.2.0 (during the beta period, with Georg's permission), it would have waited for 3.3.s

Our intent is that the initial CPython x.y.0 release 'freeze' the definition of Python x.y. Code that were to use the new feature in 3.2.3 would not work in 3.2.0,.1,.2, making 3.2.3 define a slight variant. People who want the latest version of an stdlib module should upgrade to the latest release or even download from the repository. For mimetypes, the database can be explicitly augmented in the code and then the code would work in all 2.7 or 3.2 releases.

--
Terry Jan Reedy