On 10/8/2011 12:57 PM, Giampaolo Rodolà wrote:

I have a couple of doubts about this though.
The first one is about licensing.

Other have answered -- follow the license in giving credit, etc.

My second doubt is about morality.
Although this might be useful to those people who are forced to use
older python versions, on the other hand it might represent an
incentive for not upgrading (and there will be python 3.X features as
well).
Or maybe it won't, I don't know, point is I feel kind of guilty. =)

I'd like to hear your opinions, especially about the second point.

While I would personally prefer that everyone else upgrade, I never expected that and I consider it a feature that one does not have to. The only thing that has really bothered me is people spreading FUD about Python 3, and that has mostly ended. Just be accurate in promoting your package. It will backport some newer stdlib features, but it will not remove old cruft, fix bugs, add other new features, or include doc improvements.

--
Terry Jan Reedy