On 11/3/2011 3:16 PM, Victor Stinner wrote:
Le jeudi 3 novembre 2011 18:14:42, mar...@v.loewis.de a écrit :
There is a backwards compatibility issue with PEP 393 and Unicode
exceptions: the start and end indices: are they Py_UNICODE indices, or
code point indices?

I had the impression that we were abolishing the wide versus narrow build difference and that this issue would disappear. I must have missed something.

So what should it be?

I suggest to use code point indices. Code point indices is also now more
"natural" with the PEP 393.

I think we should look forward, not backwards. Error messages are defined as undefined ;-). So I think we should do what is right for the new implementation. I suspect that means that I am agreeing with both Victor and Antoine.

Because it is an incompatible change, it should be documented in the PEP and
in the "What's new in Python 3.3" document.
Yeah, O(n) should be avoided when is it possible.

Definitely to both.

--
Terry Jan Reedy