On 27/01/2012 20:43, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
Eli Bendersky wrote:
Hello,

Following an earlier discussion on python-ideas [1], we would like to
propose the following PEP for review. Discussion is welcome.

I think you need to emphasize that modules in __preview__ are NOT expected to have a forward-compatible, stable, API. This is a feature of __preview__, not a bug, and I believe it is the most important feature.

I see responses to this PEP that assume that APIs will be stable,

I didn't see responses like that - the *point* of this pep is to allow an api we think *should* be in the standard library stabilise and mature (that's how I see it anyway). There is a difference between "not yet stable" and "we will make huge gratuitous changes" though. We *might* make huge gratuitous changes, but only if they're really needed (meaning they're huge but not gratuitous I guess).

and that having a module fail to graduate out of __preview__ should be an extraordinary event.

I would say this will probably be the case. Once we add something there will be resistance to removing it and we shouldn't let things rot in __preview__ either. I would say failing to graduate would be the exception, although maybe not extraordinary.

But if this is the case, then why bother with __preview__? It just adds complexity to the process -- if __preview__.spam and spam are expected to be the same, then just spam straight into the std lib and be done with it.

I think you're misunderstanding what was suggested. The suggestion was that once spam has graduated from __preview__ into stdlib, that __preview__.spam should remain as an alias - so that code using it from __preview__ at least has a fighting chance of working.

This PEP only makes sense if we assume that __preview__.spam and spam *will* be different,

I disagree. Once there is a spam they should remain the same. __preview__ is for packages that haven't yet made it into the standard library - not a place for experimenting with apis that are already there.
even if only in minor ways, and that there might not even be a spam. There should be no expectation that every __preview__ module must graduate,

Graduate or die however.
or that every standard library module must go through __preview__. If it is stable and uncontroversial, __preview__ adds nothing to the process.

Sure. __preview__ is for things that *need* previewing.

All the best,

Michael Foord

Even when there are candidates for inclusion with relatively stable APIs, like regex, we should *assume* that there will be API differences between __preview__.regex and regex, simply because it is less harmful to expect changes that don't eventuate than to expect stability and be surprised by changes.

This, I believe, rules out Antoine's suggestion that modules remain importable from __preview__ even after graduation to a full member of the standard library. We simply can't say have all three of these statements true at the same time:

1) regular standard library modules are expected to be backward compatible
2) __preview__ modules are not expected to be forward compatible
3) __preview__.spam is an alias to regular standard library spam

At least one of them has to go. Since both 1) and 2) are powerful features, and 3) is only a convenience, the obvious one to drop is 3). I note that the PEP, as it is currently written, explicitly states that __preview__.spam will be dropped when it graduates to spam. This is a good thing and should not be changed.

Keeping __preview__.spam around after graduation is, I believe, actively harmful. It adds complexity to the developer's decision-making process ("Should I import spam from __preview__, or just import spam? What's the difference?"). It gives a dangerous impression that code written for __preview__.spam will still work for spam.

We should be discouraging simple-minded recipes like

try:
    import spam
except ImportError:
    from __preview__ import spam
spam.foo(a, b, c)

since they undermine the vital feature of __preview__ that the signature and even the existence of spam.foo is subject to change.

I would go further and suggest that __preview__ be explicitly called __unstable__. If that name is scary, and it frightens some users off, good! The last thing we want is when 3.4 comes around to have dozens of bug reports along the line of "spam.foo() and __preview__.spam.foo() have different function signatures and aren't compatible". Of course they do. That's why __preview__.spam existed in the first place, to allow the API to mature without the expectation that it was already stable.

Since __preview__.spam (or, as I would prefer, __unstable__.spam) and spam cannot be treated as drop-in replacements, what is __preview__.spam good for? Without a stable API, __preview__.spam is not suitable for use in production applications that expect to run under multiple versions of the standard library.

I think the PEP needs more use-cases on who might use __preview__.spam, and why. These come to my mind:

* if you don't care about Python 3.x+1, then there is no reason not to
  treat Python 3.x's __preview__.spam as stable;

* rapid development proof-of-concept software ("build one to throw away")
  can safely use __preview__.spam, since they are expected to be replaced
  anyway;

* one-use scripts;

* use at the interactive interpreter;

* any other time where forward-compatibility is not required.

I am reminded of the long, often acrimonious arguments that took place on Python-Dev a few years back about the API for the ipaddr library. A lot of the arguments could have been short-circuited if we had said "putting ipaddr into __preview__ does not constitute acceptance of its API".

(On the other hand, if __preview__ becomes used in the future for library authors to fob-off criticism for 18 months in the hope it will just be forgotten, then this will be a bad thing.)

--
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/

May you do good and not evil