On 25/02/2012 20:16, Mark Lawrence wrote:
On 25/02/2012 13:13, Mark Lawrence wrote:
On 25/02/2012 05:55, Nick Coghlan wrote:
On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 10:23 AM, Mark
Lawrence<breamore...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

<quote>
Quoting the docs http://docs.python.org/py3k/library/stdtypes.html

4.6.2. Old String Formatting Operations

Note

The formatting operations described here are obsolete and may go
away in
future versions of Python. Use the new String Formatting in new code.

</quote>

I think this is daft because all of the code has to be supported for
the ten
years that MVL has suggested.

Indeed, that note was written before we decided that getting rid of
"%" formatting altogether would be a bad idea.

It would be better to update it to say something like:

"The formatting operations described here are modelled on C's printf()
syntax. They only support formatting of certain builtin types, and the
use of a binary operator means that care may be needed in order to
format tuples and dictionaries correctly. As the new string formatting
syntax is more powerful, flexible, extensible and handles tuples and
dictionaries naturally, it is recommended for new code. However, there
are no current plans to deprecate printf-style formatting."

Cheers,
Nick.

That's fine by me, it'll save me changing my own code. I'll put this on
the issue tracker if you want, but after the pressing needs of the bar
and 6 Nations rugby :)

I would raise this on the issue tracker but it won't let me login. Guess
I'm not wanted. :(

But there's more than one way of skinning a cat.
http://bugs.python.org/issue14123

--
Cheers.

Mark Lawrence.