In http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2012-February/116953.html
Terry J. Reedy wrote:

> I presume that most 2.6 code has problems other than u'' when
> attempting to run under 3.x.

Why?

If you're talking about generic code that has seen minimal changes
since 2.0, sure.  But I think this request is specifically for
projects that are thinking about python 3, but are trying to use
a single source base regardless of version.

Using an automatic translation step means that python (or at least
python 3) would no longer be the actual source code.  I've worked
with enough generated "source" code in other languages that it is
worth some pain to avoid even a slippery slope.

By the time you drop 2.5, the "subset" language is already pretty
good; if I have to write something version-specific, I prefer to
treat that as a sign that I am using the wrong approach.

-jJ

--

If there are still threading problems with my replies, please
email me with details, so that I can try to resolve them.  -jJ