On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 11:48 AM, Terry Reedy <tjre...@udel.edu> wrote:
> * As for porting, my impression is that the PEP directly affects only C code
> and Python code using ctypes and only some fraction of those. If the
> bugfix-only patch is significantly different from complete patch, porting to
> 3.2 would be significantly different from porting to 3.3. So I can foresee a
> temptation to just port to 3.3 anyway.

memoryview as it exists in 2.7 and 3.2 misbehaves when used with
certain buffer exporters - while Antoine bashed it into shape (mostly)
for 1D views into 1D objects, it's rather temperamental if you try to
go beyond that. So it affects the Python level as well, in terms of
what objects are likely to upset memoryview.

Still, I think backporting would be a lot of work for relatively small
benefit, so it ends up in my "with infinite resources, sure, but with
limited resources, there are more fruitful things to be doing" pile.

Cheers,
Nick.

--
Nick Coghlan   |   ncogh...@gmail.com   |   Brisbane, Australia