Hi Ezio,

Am 02.03.2012 um 10:33 schrieb Ezio Melotti:
Reading this led me to think the following:
* 2.5 is now available basically everywhere, and it was released almost 5 years
ago (Sep 2006);
* if it takes the same time for 3.3, it will be widespread after 4-5 years
(i.e. 2016-2017) [0];
* if you want to target a Python 3 version that is widespread [1], you will
want to support 3.1/3.2 too in the meanwhile;
* therefore you will have to use the hook on 3.1/3.2;
* in 2016-2017 you'll finally be able to drop 3.1/3.2 and use only 3.3 without
hooks;
* in 2016-2017 you'll also stop maintaining the 2.x version (according to that
quote);
* if you are not maintaining 2.x anymore, you won't need u'' -- right when you
could finally stop using the hook;
I don't think you can compare 2.5 and 3.2 like that. Although 3.2 is/will be shipped with
some distributions, it never has, and never will have, the adoption of 2.5 that was
"mainstream" for a quite long time.

But I don't think the adoption of 3.2 will affect the decisions that distros will take about 3.3. Even in the unlikely case that e.g. Debian/RHEL make Python 3.3 available as soon as it's released, not everyone will immediately upload to the latest Debian or RHEL version. The point is that regardless the current Python 3 situation, it will take a few years before 3.3 will be widely available on most of the machine.

For example I work on a server where I have 3.1. When/if it will be updated it will probably get 3.2, not 3.3 -- and this might happen in a couple of years. If I want 3.3 I will probably have to wait another couple of years. Other people might have to wait less time, others more.

3.3 is the IMHO the first 3.x release that brings really cool stuff to the
table and might be the tipping point for people to start embracing Python 3 –
despite the fact that Ubuntu LTS will alas ship 3.2 for the next 10 years. I
hope for some half-official back port there. :)

I heard this about 3.1 and 3.2 too, and indeed they are both perfectly valid releases. The fact that 3.3 is even cooler doesn't mean that 3.1/3.2 are not cool. (I'm perfectly fine with the aforementioned server and 3.1, and currently I don't miss anything that is new in 3.2/3.3.)

Best Regards,
Ezio Melotti