On 15 March 2012 10:06, Matt Joiner <anacro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm baffled as to how you even identify "forward leaps". In relation
>> to what? A more accurate time source? I thought that by definition
>> this was the most accurate time source we have!
>
> Monotonic clocks are not necessarily hardware based, and may be adjusted
> forward by NTP.

I appreciate that. But I'm still unclear how you would tell that had
happened as part of the implementation. One call to the OS returns
12345. The next returns 13345. Is that because 100 ticks have passed,
or because the clock "leapt forward"? With no point of reference, how
can you tell?

But I agree, the key thing is just to have the strongest guarantee possible.

Paul.