On May 05, 2012, at 04:04 PM, Christian Heimes wrote:

>The fix needs the dpkg-architecture program. As Tshepang pointed out it
>may not be available on Edward's box. I always install build-essential
>on all development boxes as it includes GCC, make and dpkg-dev.

That's probably it.  Certainly Python 2.7, 3.2, and 3.3 build just fine for me
on Debian Wheezy and Ubuntu Precise.  One other thing: you might want to
`apt-get build-dep python3.2` to get all the build dependencies installed
first, even if you're building Python from source.  If you're building Python
3.3 from source, you'll also want to install liblzma-dev.

Cheers,
-Barry