On 05/05/2012 12:41 AM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 6:49 AM, Carl Meyer<c...@oddbird.net>  wrote:
1) Document it and provide a tool for easily upgrading a venv in this
situation. This may be adequate. In practice the situation is quite rare:
2.6.8/2.7.3 is the only actual example in the history of virtualenv that I'm
aware of. The disadvantage is that if the problem does occur, the error will
probably be quite confusing and seemingly unrelated to pyvenv.

I think this is the way to go, for basically the same reasons that we
did it this way this time: there's no good reason to pay an ongoing
cost to further mitigate the risks associated with an already
incredibly rare event.

This seems to be the rough consensus. I'll update the PEP with a note about this, and we'll consider switching back to symlink-by-default on Linux.

Carl