On 05/30/2012 12:43 PM, "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:
Please understand that Visual Studio never had the notion of "targetting" an operating system. The Windows SDK has that notion, and it appears that targetting XP continues to be supported.

I may be misremembering, but--the C API of necessity calls the Win32 API. So if Microsoft chooses to call new Win32 APIs as part of the C API, this can force you to require a minimum Windows version. I dimly recall an incident some years back where part of the startup code for a C program (code called before main / WinMain) was calling a newish API, and thus programs generated with that version of the compiler could not support older Windows versions.

//arry/