On 6/21/12 11:08 AM, Dag Sverre Seljebotn wrote:
David Cournapeau's Bento project takes the opposite approach, everything is explicit and without any magic.

http://cournape.github.com/Bento/

It had its 0.1.0 release a week ago.

Please, I don't want to reopen any discussions about Bento here -- distutils2 vs. Bento discussions have been less than constructive in the past -- I just wanted to make sure everybody is aware that distutils2 isn't the only horse in this race. I don't know if there are others too?

That's *exactly* the kind of approach that has made me not want to continue.

People are too focused on implementations, and 'how distutils sucks' 'how setuptools sucks' etc 'I'll do better' etc

Instead of having all the folks involved in packaging sit down together and try to fix the issues together by building PEPs describing what would be a common set of standards, they want to create their own tools from scratch.

That will not work. And I will say here again what I think we should do imho:

1/ take all the packaging PEPs and rework them until everyone is happy (compilation sucks in distutils ? write a PEP !!!)

2/ once we have a consensus, write as many tools as you want, if they rely on the same standards => interoperability => win.

But I must be naive because everytime I tried to reach people that were building their own tools to ask them to work with us on the PEPs, all I was getting was "distutils sucks!'

It worked with the OS packagers guys though, we have built a great data files managment system in packaging + the versions (386)

--
Dag Sverre Seljebotn