Hi,

On 6/21/12 7:56 AM, Tarek Ziadé wrote:
On 6/21/12 11:08 AM, Dag Sverre Seljebotn wrote:
David Cournapeau's Bento project takes the opposite approach,
everything is explicit and without any magic.

http://cournape.github.com/Bento/

It had its 0.1.0 release a week ago.

Please, I don't want to reopen any discussions about Bento here --
distutils2 vs. Bento discussions have been less than constructive in
the past -- I just wanted to make sure everybody is aware that
distutils2 isn't the only horse in this race. I don't know if there
are others too?

That's *exactly* the kind of approach that has made me not want to
continue.

People are too focused on implementations, and 'how distutils sucks'
'how setuptools sucks' etc 'I'll do better' etc

Instead of having all the folks involved in packaging sit down together
and try to fix the issues together by building PEPs describing what
would be a common set of standards, they want to create their own tools
from scratch.

That will not work.

But you can't tell someone or some group of folks that, and expect them to listen. Most times NIH is pejorative[1], but sometimes something positive comes out of it.

And I will say here again what I think we should do
imho:

1/ take all the packaging PEPs and rework them until everyone is happy
(compilation sucks in distutils ?  write a PEP !!!)

2/ once we have a consensus, write as many tools as you want, if they
rely on the same standards => interoperability => win.

But I must be naive because everytime I tried to reach people that were
building their own tools to ask them to work with us on the PEPs, all I
was getting was "distutils sucks!'

And that's the best you can do: give your opinion. I understand the frustration, but we have to let people succeed and/or fail on their own[2].

It worked with the OS packagers guys though, we have built a great data
files managment system in packaging + the versions (386)

Are you referring to "the" packaging/distutils2 or something else?

Alex

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Not_invented_here
[2] http://docs.pythonpackages.com/en/latest/advanced.html#buildout-easy-install-vs-virtualenv-pip

--