On 6/22/2012 6:09 AM, Vinay Sajip wrote:

Easy enough on Posix platforms, perhaps, but what about Windows?

Every time windows users download and install a binary, they are taking a chance. I try to use a bit more sense than some people, but I know it is not risk free. There *is* a third party site that builds installers, but should I trust it? I would prefer that (except perhaps for known and trusted authors) PyPI compile binaries, perhaps after running code through a security checker, followed by running it through one or more virus checkers.

One can't expect a C compiler to be installed everywhere.

Just having 'a C compiler' is not enough to compile on Windows.

--
Terry Jan Reedy