On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 11:45:21 +0100
Michael Foord <fuzzy...@voidspace.org.uk> wrote:

> On 20 Jul 2012, at 17:50, Maciej Fijalkowski wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 2:55 PM, Michael Foord <fuzzy...@voidspace.org.uk>
> > wrote:

> > > I think history has moved past specializing JITs. Tracing JITs are the
> > > status quo; they provide specialization as a side effect.
> > >

> > Mozilla implemented a method-JIT (compile whole methods) on top of their
> > tracing JIT because a tracing JIT only optimises part of your code (only in
> > loops and only if executed more times than the threshold) and there are
> > further performance improvements to be had. So tracing JITs are not the
> > *whole* of the state of the art.
> >
> > Michael
> >
> > I'm sorry michael but you're like a 100th person I have to explain this to.
> > The pure reason that mozilla did not make a tracing JIT work does not mean
> > the entire approach is horribly doomed as many people would like to assume.
> > The reasons are multiple, but a lot of them are connected to poor
> > engineering (for example the part inherited from adobe is notoriously bad,
> > have a look if you want).
>

> Well, that isn't how they describe it. If it is the case, it's *still*
> interesting
> that rather than putting their efforts into improving the tracing JIT they
> put them
> into adding a method-JIT *as well*.

Honestly I'm not sure that's a very interesting discussion. First,
Javascript performance is not based on the same prorities as Python
performance: for the former, startup time is key. Second, whether
method-based or tracing-based, a well-written JIT would certainly bring
significant performance improvements over a bytecode interpreter anyway.

Regards

Antoine.

--
Software development and contracting: http://pro.pitrou.net