On 30.09.12 22:51, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
Well, no, this isn't similar. Choosing one's timezone policies is a
contemporary political decision, while choosing a language and its
alphabet is not really a decision people ever make (it's just an aspect
of a society's long-term evolution) - except Atatürk, perhaps :-)

Oh, no. Choosing of alphabet (and sometimes language) is also a contemporary political decision. For the last 25 years new letter Ґ has been added to the Ukrainian alphabet, and the letter Ь changed its place in the alphabet. There were at least 4 family of absolutely different character sets for Ukrainian (not counting the Unicode), some of them contains several incompatible variants. In several neighboring countries the alphabet was changed completely (from Cyrillic-based to Latin). Why ASCII is not enough for all?

Furthermore, the proposal I'm making does *not* disadvantage residents
of Russia and Ukraine: whether our Windows installer provides a database
or not, they have to download a new database if they want up-to-date
information. And they have to download it afresh every few months, if
I'm following you.

Who will update the database? The developer which distributes the application with embedded Python can forget about the tz updates, as well as about non-ascii encodings. Native Unicode support in Python makes the second error less likely.

Why not use the system data which are updated by the OS? I know that Windows also changes the clock for local DST.