On 24/10/2012 13:19, Nick Coghlan wrote:
(Oops, originally replied only to Mark)

Is a 3x3 array greater or less than a 2x4 array or another 3x3 array?

The contents of a 1D memory view may be sortable, but the "logical
structure" part isn't, and neither is any multi-dimensional view.

I'm surprised by the lack of inheritance support though - is that a
regression from 3.2? If yes, that's definitely a bug to be fixed in a 3.3
maintenance release, otherwise it's probably a feature request for 3.4.

Cheers,
Nick.

--
Sent from my phone, thus the relative brevity :)

The lack of inheritance support is the same in Python 2.7.3 so I doubt that there's any change there.

Quoting Nick Coghlan from http://bugs.python.org/issue15622#msg167957 "PEP 3118 contains way too many errors (as has been found out the hard way) to be considered a normative document.". I can't say that this gives me a great deal of confidence. It strikes me that a lot of code has been written, tested and released without having anything like a requirement. For example when is any given memoryview equal to or not equal to any other memoryview?

--
Cheers.

Mark Lawrence.