On 2012-11-06 15:02, Rob Cliffe wrote:

On 06/11/2012 12:01, Nick Coghlan wrote:

As noted, it's really only counterintuitive if your intuition is
primed to expect C style right to left chained assignments.

Python, on the other hand, is able to preserve primarily left to right
evaluation in this case with only the far right hand expression
needing to be evaluated out of order.

It strikes me that a really intuitive language (at least for Westerners
who read left-to-right) would write assignments as
     expression --> target
and then the order of assignment in
     expression -> target1 -> target2
could be the natural left-to-right one.

That would make augmented assignment more difficult. For example, how
would you write the equivalent of "x -= y"?

[Sorry, this is more appropriate to Python-ideas, but I couldn't resist
adding my 2c.]
Rob Cliffe