On 13/02/13 19:52, Larry Hastings wrote:

I've always hated the "".join(array) idiom for "fast" string concatenation
--it's ugly and it flies in the face of TOOWTDI. I think everyone should
use "x = a + b + c + d" for string concatenation, and we should just make
 that fast.

"".join(array) is much nicer looking than:

    # ridiculous and impractical for more than a few items
    array[0] + array[1] + array[2] + ... + array[N]

or:

    # not an expression
    result = ""
    for s in array:
        result += s

or even:

    # currently prohibited, and not obvious
    sum(array, "")

although I will admit to a certain fondness towards

    # even less obvious than sum
    map(operator.add, array)

and join has been the obvious way to do repeated concatenation of many substrings since at
least Python 1.5 when it was spelled "string.join(array [, sep=" "]).

--
Steven