On 3/6/2013 11:55 AM, Chris Angelico wrote:

Someone would have to check, but in most cases, software licenses
govern the use, more than the distribution. If you're allowed to
download it free of charge from microsoft.com, you should be able to
get hold of it in some other way and it be exactly the same. But yeah,
if you want to be legal you'd have to actually read the EULA.

As I remember, the 2008 vcexpress license specifically prohibits redistribtion even though MS gave it away for free. So we can not document other means of obtaining it. We went through the same issue with vc2005 when that was pulled from the MS site. I had the file but could not legally send it to anyone. As it is, my copy of 2008 file, which I meant to keep, seems gone (I believe the directory I had it in got corrupted).

--
Terry Jan Reedy