On 13/04/13 05:33, Barry Warsaw wrote:
On Apr 12, 2013, at 11:21 AM, Russell E. Owen wrote:

I, too, would strongly prefer to see ordering within an enum. I use
home-made enums heavily in my code and find ordering comparisons useful
there.

This was all hashed out in gory detail on python-ideas.  I feel strongly that
base EnumValues should be unordered, especially because the underlying values
can be of any type.  What would you expect to happen in this case:

     class X(Enum):
         a = 1
         b = 'hi'

     if X.a < myvalue < X.b:
         # whaa?

I would expect the same behaviour from enums that I get in Python 3 from
non-enums. That is, if enums X.a and X.b happen to both be ints, or both
strings, then comparisons should succeed, but if they are different types, I
should get a TypeError.

The above applies to related enums. If they are unrelated (e.g. Colours.red <
Insects.ant) then I think TypeError is appropriate.

--
Steven