On Sun, 5 May 2013 07:09:14 -0700
Eli Bendersky <eli...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, May 5, 2013 at 3:05 AM, Antoine Pitrou <solip...@pitrou.net> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 4 May 2013 15:04:49 -0700
> > Eli Bendersky <eli...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Hello pydev,
> > >
> > > PEP 435 is ready for final review. A lot of the feedback from the last
> > few
> > > weeks of discussions has been incorporated.
> >
> > I still would like to see Nick's class-based API preferred over the
> > functional API:
> >
> >    class Season(Enum, members='spring summer autumn'):
> >       pass
> >
> > The PEP doesn't even mention it, even though you got significant
> > pushback on the proposed _getframe() hack for pickling (including
> > mentions that IronPython and Cython may not support it),
>
> Plenty of points were raised against having this members= API.

The main point seems to be "I don't like it". If you consider this a
strong argument against the concrete issues with the functional API,
then good for you.

> Guido publicly asked to decide in favor of the
> functional API, and we added an explicit warning about pickling (which was
> lifted from the docs of pickle itself).

This is not true. The pickling restrictions which have been raised are
specifically caused by the functional syntax, something which your
warning omits.

> If you feel this has to be
> discussed further, please open a new thread. I don't want another 100
> bikeshedding emails to go into this one.

This is not bikeshedding since it addresses concrete functional issues.
(but apparently you would very much like to sweep those issues under
the carpet in the name of "bikeshedding")

Regards

Antoine.