On 06/08/2013 01:07 AM, Serhiy Storchaka wrote:
08.06.13 10:03, Ethan Furman написав(ла):
Indeed, and it is already in several different ways.  But it would be
nice to have a pickle example in the docs that worked with doctest.

I ended up doing what Barry did:

     >>> from test.test_enum import Fruit
     >>> from pickle import dumps, loads
     >>> Fruit.tomato is loads(dumps(Fruit.tomato))
     True

I think that the documentation is there for people.

I agree.

If you need tests, add them separately,

I have.

but the documentation should be clear and understandable.

And the example code should be testable.

In this case it is better to exclude a code example from doctests or
add auxiliary code (i.e. as Steven suggested) to pass the doctest.

Are you saying there is something wrong about what I have in place now? I would think that one line showing something you might actually do (importing an Enum from another module) is better than two lines showing esoteric workarounds (importing __main__ and setting an attribute on it).

Apologies if I sound gruff -- it's way past my bedtime.  In fact, I'll think
I'll go sleep now.  :)

--
~Ethan~