On Sep 25, 2013, at 4:50 PM, Barry Warsaw <ba...@python.org> wrote:

> Why does it have to be added to the source tree for stable releases?

I think it should be placed in the source tree for the stable releases. The
reasoning is that 2.7 is going to stick around for a long time. Immediately
this won't be ubiquitous but as time goes on you'll be able to be ensured
that a ``python -m ensure pip`` exists so that in situations where you don't
have pip you'll be able to install it.

While not directly relevant to the change I do think this is something users
support. I've received a fair but of feedback as I was writing the original
draft of the PEP and then throughout the process when me and Nick
were working on it. Almost all of it was positive (some of it extremely so)
a fair bit of them pointed out the backport to 2.7 as something they were
*really* wanting.

An early draft of this did not have the backport to 2.7 and when I showed
*that* version around to get feedback people were less enthusiastic
about it and generally viewed it as "nice but worthless to me for N years".

What users want isn't rationale in and of itself but I think it's an important
data point, especially given how long 2.7.LASTEVER is going to be
relevant to end users.