Hi!

On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 12:22:29PM +0200, "\"Martin v. L?wis\""
<mar...@v.loewis.de> wrote:
> Am 15.10.13 10:53, schrieb Daniel Holth:
> > FYI zipfile does do UTF-8
> > (http://hg.python.org/cpython/file/d7ebe03fa752/Lib/zipfile.py#l368).
> > Only the non-Unicode encodings might need some help. I like that the
> > patch is only concerned with decoding. Is it necessary to support
> > writing non-UTF8 encodings?
>
> For purity, no. For practicality, perhaps. It might be that some tools
> don't know how to unpack files marked as UTF-8, and always default to
> the system code page.
>
> OTOH, before accepting such a change, I'd like to know what actual
> existing tool would require such a hack, and a confirmation that this
> very tool indeed does not support UTF-8.

   Just an example how I create and extract zip files with Russian
filenames on Linux:

http://phdru.name/Software/Python/misc/zip.py.txt
http://phdru.name/Software/Python/misc/unzip.py.txt

   I hardcoded cp866 encoding to handle zip files the same way other
tools (like WinZIP/WinRAR) handle Russian filenames. I hardcoded cp866
encoding into the code because it's the only encoding I've ever saw.
cp866 is the OEM encoding in Windows; ANSI encoding is cp1251.

Oleg.
--
     Oleg Broytman            http://phdru.name/            p...@phdru.name