Eric Snow writes:

 > That's why I'm surprised by the reaction to this change.  It just
 > seems like the whole thing is being blown way out of proportion to
 > the detriment of other interesting problems.

The feature itself a perfect bikeshedding pitfall.  Everybody here
understands the Zen, and this addition violates at least a half-dozen
Zen principles.  That's why the thread had more heads than the Hydra.

In cases like this, I would recommend that the responsible maintainer
(yeah, I know, sorry for "blaming the victim") just write "Thank you
for your comment.  I understand that you're thinking about <Zen #N>,
and I've thought again, but I still think this is good enough.  This
thread is over" -- and then *refuse to post again*.