On 11/14/2013 6:57 PM, Chris Barker wrote:
On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 1:20 PM, Victor Stinner

Seriously, *all* these tricky bugs are fixed in Python 3. So don't
loose time on trying to workaround them, but invest in the future:
upgrade to Python 3!

Maybe so -- but we are either maintaining 2.7 or not

That statement is too 'binary'. We normally fix general bugs* for two years and security bugs for 3 more years. That is already 'trinary'. For 2.7, we have already done 3 1/2 years of general bug fixing. I expect that that will taper off for the next 1 1/2 years.

* We sometimes do not back port a bug fix that theorectically could be backported because we think it would be too disruptive (because people depend on the bug). When we fix a bug with a feature change that cannot be backported, we do not usually create a separate backport patch unless the bug is severe. In either case, people who want the fix must upgrade.

Many unicode bugs in 2.x were fixed in 3.0 by making unicode the text type. For some but not all unicode issues, separate patches have been made for 2.7. People who want the general fix must upgrade. (The unicode future import gives some of the benefits, but maybe not all.) A few more unicode bugs were fixed in 3.3 with the flexible string representation. People who want the 3.3 fix must upgrade, even from 3.2.

-- it WIL be around for along time yet...

1.5 was around for a long time; not sure if it is completely gone yet.

--
Terry Jan Reedy