Yes Paul,

On 20.11.13 23:15, Paul Moore wrote:
On 20 November 2013 22:04, Christian Tismer <tis...@stackless.com> wrote:
My question is not answered at all, sorry Joao!
I did not ask a teacher for his opinion on Stackless, but the community
about the
validity of pep 404.

I don't want a python 2.7 that does not install correctly, because people
don't read instructions. And exactly that will happen if I submit a modified
python 2.7 to PyPI.

This is a topic on Stackless Python, and I am asking python-dev before I do
it.
But people know this has its limits.
PEP 404 says there will be no Python 2.8. In my view, If you release
something named (Stackless) Python 2.8, that seems to me to be pretty
unfriendly given python-dev's clear intentions. Call it Stackless
Python 2.7 plus for Visual Studio 2010 if you want, but using the
version number 2.8 is bound to confuse at least some newcomers about
the status of the Python 2.x line, and that's what PEP 404 was
intended to avoid.

I see what you intend, but I am not convinced what's best.

Building a version that is numbered the same as existing versions, but
binary incompatible is IMHO much more confusing that a version 2.8
which clearly says "if you are not 2.8, then you are not compatible".

I am addressing Windows users, and they usually click a version,
and if it doesn't work, they complain.

The reason to go this way _was_ simplicity, moving to an impossible
version, that justifies itself by that impossibility. They would have to
install a whole series of packages, which they all would get from my
site, and it works.

And to repeat: Stackless Python is a slightly different, very compatible version,
that has never got approval about being official or compatible.
The reason that I am asking is to minimize the friction that I had to
envision, anyway. It is your chance to minimize that friction by giving
me good reasons to re-think my decision.

But it will happen, soon, in the one or the other way. So please don't think I
am begging for something - I am offering something, but it will happen.

Best regards -- Chris

--
Christian Tismer             :^)   <mailto:tis...@stackless.com>
phone +49 173 24 18 776  fax +49 (30) 700143-0023