Steven D'Aprano <st...@pearwood.info> writes:

> I think that heuristics to guess the encoding have their role to play,
> if the caller understands the risks.

I think, for a language whose developers espouse a principle “In the
face of ambiguity, refuse the temptation to guess”, heuristics have no
role to play in the standard library.

> There is already a third-party library, chardet, which does this.

As a third-party library, it's fine and quite useful.

> Perhaps the std lib should include this?

In my opinion, content-type guessing heuristics certainly don't belong
in the standard library.

--
 \      “Nothing is more sacred than the facts.” —Sam Harris, _The End |
  `\                                                   of Faith_, 2004 |