On 01/10/2014 06:04 PM, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
On Fri, 10 Jan 2014 20:53:09 -0500
"Eric V. Smith" <e...@trueblade.com> wrote:

So, I'm -1 on the PEP. It doesn't address the cases laid out in issue
3892. See for example http://bugs.python.org/issue3982#msg180432 .

Then we might as well not do anything, since any attempt to advance
things is met by stubborn opposition in the name of "not far enough".

Heh, and here I thought it was stubborn opposition in the name of purity.  ;)

(I don't care much personally, I think the issue is quite overblown
anyway)

Is it safe to assume you don't use Python for the use-cases under discussion? Specifically, mixed ASCII, binary, and encoded-text byte streams?

--
~Ethan~