There's a lot of discussion about PEP 460 and I haven't read it all.
Maybe you all have already reached the same conclusion that I have.

No, no agreement has been reached.  Your contribution is timely.

PEP 460 itself currently rejects support for %d, AFAIK on the basis
that bytes aren't necessarily ASCII. I think that's a misunderstanding
of the intention of the bytes type.

[...] this does not mean the bytes type isn't allowed to have a
noticeable bias in favor of encodings that are ASCII supersets, even
if not all bytes objects contain such data [...]

IMO it's totally fine and consistent if b'%d' % 42 returns b'42' and
also for b'{}'.format(42) to return b'42' [...]

- byte literals: b'abc' (it's a syntax error to have a non-ASCII character here)
- the upper() and lower() methods modify the ASCII letter positions
- int(b'42') == 42, float(b'3.14') == 3.14

So if we allow the numeric modifiers [1], the only remaining question is do we allow %c and %s, and if so how do they behave?

Guido?

--
~Ethan~

[1] modifiers is not the right word for %i, %x, etc, is it?  What is the
correct term?