On 1/12/2014 8:00 PM, Ethan Furman wrote:

Okay, I've thought somewhat. Under the definition above would it be fair to say that Db3Table (a class in my dbf module) is a boundary type? It sits between the actual file and the program, and transforms bytes into actual Python types.

Yes. That is exactly what a boundary type is. It doesn't matter whether it is a file format or a wire protocol format on the non-Python side, the sequence of bytes is defined, using methods that are not directly corresponding to python data types (if they do correspond, the boundary type is trivial).