On 01/13/2014 08:09 AM, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
On Mon, 13 Jan 2014 07:59:10 -0800
Guido van Rossum <gu...@python.org> wrote:
On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 3:41 AM, Antoine Pitrou <solip...@pitrou.net> wrote:
What is the use case for embedding a quoted ASCII-encoded representation
in a byte stream?

It doesn't crash but produces undesired output (always, not only when
the data is non-ASCII) that gives the developer a hint to think about
encoding to bytes.

But why is it better to give a hint by producing undesired output (which
may actually go unnoticed for some time and produce issues down the
road), rather than simply by raising TypeError?

You mean crash all the time? I'd be fine with that for both the str case and the bytes case. But's probably too late to change the str case, and the bytes case should mirror what str does.

By that token we may simply insert an error string ("CAUTION: YOU MISS
AN ENCODING HERE"), rather than the ascii() representation of the
argument.

Well, the ascii repr is at least some clue as to where.  A generic message
would be no clue at all.

--
~Ethan~