Eli Bendersky wrote:
For instance, it is sometime non-trivial to know which exceptions some function may throw. When you write a try...raise statement, you think hard about covering all the bases. In an expression you're unlikely to,

Speak for yourself. I don't think I would put any less
thought into which exception I caught with an except
expression as I would for an except statement.

In fact, an except expression may even make it easier
to catch exceptions in an appropriately targeted way.
For example, a pattern frequently encountered is:

   result = computation(int(arg))

and you want to guard against arg not being a
well-formed int. It's tempting to do this:

   try:
      result = computation(int(arg))
   except ValueError:
      abort("Invalid int")

But that's bad, because the try clause encompasses
too much. Doing it properly requires splitting up the
expression:

   try:
      i = int(arg)
   except:
      abort("Invalid int")
   else:
      result = computation(i)

With an except expression, it could be written:

--
Greg