On 02/21/2014 11:04 AM, Yury Selivanov wrote:
On 2/20/2014, 10:15 PM, Chris Angelico wrote:

* list.pop() - no way to return a default

We can fix that in 3.5.

How many are you going to "fix"?  How are you going to "fix" the routines you
don't control?

* seq[index] - no way to handle a bounds error

We can add 'list.get(index, default)' method, similar to
'Mapping.get'. It's far more easier than introducing new
syntax.

When I have to keep writing the same code over and over and aver again, I find a better way to do the job. In this case, an exception expression does quite nicely.

I also searched how many 'except IndexError' are in
the standard library code.  Around 60.  That's a rather
low number, that can justify adding 'list.get' but not
advocate a new syntax.

And roughly 200 of KeyError, another couple hundred of ValueError...

This is not just about better handling of [missing] default values, but of better exception handling. This PEP adds the ability to use a scalpel instead of a sledge hammer.

--
~Ethan~