On 2014-03-10 15:04, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 02:55:26PM +0100, Victor Stinner wrote:
[...]
So can we please try to stop scheduling another major Python version
breaking almost all modules and all applications just to be pendantic?

No, we should not remove any old feature in Python 4. Python 4 should
be just a minor release following the previous 3.x release.

I often talk about "Python 4000" as the next possible opportunity for
major backwards incompatible changes, but of course that's not decided
yet, and given the long term pain of the 2->3 transition, it may be
quite conservative, with no radical changes. Perhaps I ought to use
Python 5000 as my target for radical language changes?

You mean that backwards-incompatible changes should be limited to prime-
number major versions only? :-)

[snip]