On 03/12/2014 10:09 AM, Guido van Rossum wrote:

I want to reject this PEP.  [...]

But the thing I can't get behind are the motivation and rationale. I don't
think that e.g. dict.get() would be
unnecessary once we have except expressions, and I disagree with the position
that EAFP is better than LBYL [...]

Does this mean a better motivation and rationale may cause you to change your
mind?

My motivation is for simpler, easier to read code: instead of a full-blown try/except block or a double-lookup into an indexable object I would much rather do:

    self.date = text_to_date(date, 'mdy') except ValueError: batch_date

instead of:

    try:
        self.date = text_to_date(date, 'mdy')
    except ValueError:
        self.date = batch_date

This is probably the most you can get out of me as far as a pronouncement.
Given that the language summit is coming up
I'd be happy to dive deeper in my reasons for rejecting it there (if there's
demand).

I would like to know, but I won't be at the language summit. I can wait until after, though -- I know time is in especially short supply until then.

--
~Ethan~