I apologize for the tone.  I need to go *right* now, and can't fix
that.  Really, I'm sympathetic and my goal is not just to defend
python-dev, but to help you get the reviews your work deserves.
Please read with that in mind.

Steve

Nikolaus Rath writes:

 > I've accumulated a number of patches in the issue tracker that are
 > waiting for someone to review/commit/reject them.

This is the wrong place to post a personal request like this, now that
the core-mentorship channel is available.  The problem itself is well-
known, but you don't offer a solution that makes it easier to review,
so it's not really appropriate for Python-Dev.

 > I'm eager to make corrections as necessary, I just need someone to
 > look the work that I've done so far:
 >
 > * http://bugs.python.org/issue20951 (SSLSocket.send() returns 0 for
 >   non-blocking socket)
 >
 > * http://bugs.python.org/issue1738 (filecmp.dircmp does exact match
 >   only)
 >
 > * http://bugs.python.org/issue7776 (http.client.HTTPConnection
 >   tunneling is broken)
 >
 > * http://bugs.python.org/issue20177 (Derby #8: Convert 28 sites to
 >   Argument Clinic across 2 files)
 >
 > * http://bugs.python.org/issue19414 (iter(ordered_dict) yields keys
 >   not in dict in some circumstances)
 >
 > * http://bugs.python.org/issue20578 (BufferedIOBase.readinto1 is
 >   missing)
 >
 > * http://bugs.python.org/issue21057 (TextIOWrapper does not support
 >   reading bytearrays or memoryviews)

That's an impressive list, but it doesn't tell us what work you've
done.  There's a checklist in the devguide which should be more
accurate (sorry about lack of URL), but I imagine it includes the
following:

 * Has the issue been classified as bug or feature?
 * If bug, is it confirmed?
 * If complex, does it need a PEP?  (probably irrelevant to your patches)
 * Is there agreement about requirements in the issue comments?
 * Is there a patch?
 * Does the design need review?
 * Has relevant documentation been added/updated (including
   docstrings, manuals, Whats New at least)?
 * Are there tests that the requirements are satisfied?
 * Are there tests for any regressions that arose in the process of
   developing the patch?
 * Have you signed a CA?  (irrelevant to you IIRC)
 * Is the issue status updated to reflect the work done so far?

It would help in getting reviewer attention to your work if in
addition to a list of patches you provided an indication of (1) how
complete the patch is and (2) what review is requested.  That in
itself is a strong indicator of quality.

 > I realize that core developer time is scarce, so I have started to only
 > work on patches after I've confirmed that someone is available and
 > interested to review them. However, it would be great if some people
 > could find time to look at the issues above as well. Having your
 > contributions just languish in the bugtracker is really
 > dispiriting...

 > I *want* to contribute,

Not really.  You *want* attention.  You have *already* contributed,
it's a matter of time before the contribution is integrated.  There's
nothing wrong with wanting to see your contribution integrated, but as
you write yourself, core developer time is very scarce.  Please be
patient and keep pinging core-mentorship at intervals.

 > and I can't believe that Python is the one open-source project that
 > is not in need of more manpower.

It's not.  What is unusual (though hardly unique) about Python is the
high quality demanded of both contributions and reviews.  It is well-
known that demand for quality screens out contributors who can't
provide the quality, and it is equally well-known that it frustrates
high-quality contributors who have not achieved "trust" yet.
Motivating reviewers is not an easy problem to solve.

 > But for some reason it seems really hard to actually find something
 > to do..

Your list above makes it clear that you had little trouble finding
things to do.  I'm sure you can find more.  Eventually people will
start getting embarrassed by the length of your list of patches
awaiting review.<wink/>

If you want to *do* something about this, maybe you could add a
feature to the tracker to note that patches are awaiting review (nb --
it needs to identify who requested review or the feature will
undoubtedly be abused).  Ping the tracker-discuss list.

You also might want to pay attention what's happening in the Python
world in various seasons.  Right now it's PyCon US (actually NA,
emphasized by its venue in Montreal).  Your post was poorly timed in
that sense.  Several of the obvious candidates for reviewer for your
patches have been busy preparing for the language summit, and many
more preparing talks or tutorials, as well as arranging for travel.

There must be stuff of interest to you happening on twitter, etc.,
during PyCon.